Class IIIB Lasers
Laser beams shall be contained whenever possible. When uncontained beams are
used, the following precautions shall be taken:
- A Class IIIB warning sign shall be placed at all entrances to the area when
the laser beam is operating and access must require authorization of persons responsible
for the area.
- The laser beam shall be terminated at the limit of its useful distance. A
dull black (highly absorbing/low reflectance) surface is recommended for visible
frequency lasers and beam traps or terminators with total absorbers appropriate
to the wavelength for UV and IR lasers.
- Specularly reflecting surfaces in or near the beam path shall be minimized.
- The area shall be well lighted to constrict pupils. . A standard operating
procedure is suggested for all Class IIIB lasers including emergency procedures.
- The laser shall be positioned and the beam contained such that the beam does
not exit the immediate area of use.